Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Making room for play...

I've been working on a gradual project this summer of utilizing the space in our bonus room better, in hopes of making a better play area for Sammy for him and I to play in while the big kids are doing school. I started by getting rid of the brown monster desk we bought when we were trying to fill this giant room (which after turning a chunk of it into a room for Nathan, it doesn't seem so giant anymore!). We bought a smaller desk ($20...thank you IKEA) and moved it into the school area.
After the desk was moved I was left with an empty half of the room and turned it into this... the chairs we already had, the TV came from our bedroom (that we watched approximately 8 minutes of news on every night to see the weather for the next day)...my handy hubby hung it on the wall for me...the kids can watch their math lessons on it and Sammy can watch his Einstein DVD's, the cube in the middle holds toys and used to be red,white, & blue, the trees are stickers, the PLAY letters came from the clearance bin at Michael's, and Em and I painted the clouds with random paint from our garage. It turned out to be a fun little space for everyone!
My neighbor gave me an extra little table & chairs. The table was bright blue and the chairs were bright yellow...I gave it a spray paint bath and then modge-podged placemats to the top for easy cleaning. It will be great when he figures out crayons are for coloring and NOT eating!!
The view from the halllway...you wouldn't even know all that schoolroom/office business is going on around the corner!!Be back soon with pics of our Alabama/American Girl store trip!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

LOVE it, fabulous, job well done!! Love the new table color ... why, oh why, does any and everything to do with children have to be so garish?? Where did you get the tree stickers? We're going to be renting, so I'm in the market for some cute wall stickers.

Jen said...

The tree on the left (closest to the window) is from AC Moore, the one on the right is from Kohl's. I have also seen cute ones at Target...not sure if you have any of those places over there?!?!