Saturday, July 25, 2009

Another project!!

In the attempt of trying to keep my sanity while still waiting for this baby I decided to wrap myself in another one of my crazy projects this week! I love having the summer off from school, but that means more free time and when you have been nesting like a crazy pregnant woman for what seems like forever there are only so many times you can clean out and organize the same closets!! Here is my latest crazy, hair-brained scheme!! This is a picture of how our deck furniture looked 3 years ago when it was nearly new! After lots of use the wood was very faded and looking pathetic and the umbrella had broken and was held together by a piece of string! I have been on a quest this summer to find a new umbrella, something that was not so gigantic and with a crank (after 3 years of fighting the rope and pulley on the old umbrella I was determined the new one would crank)...and of course would have to be a good price! I scored a great deal on this perfect umbrella at Big Lots this week for 50% off! Well, I decided the pretty new umbrella with its shiny white pole would look beautiful on white furniture (not brown), so I decided to spray paint the table and chairs white...no one told me that cedar wood would suck up paint like a sponge, so after 22 cans of white spray paint this was my finished product!! Thank goodness it is only 96 cents a can at Walmart!! I did feel like a fool going back 4 times, each time buying 5 or 6 cans and thinking surely this will be enough!!
I discovered that even though the frame of the umbrella was broken the inside of the fabric that had not been faded from 3 years of sun still looked pretty good and cut it apart to make seat cushions!
Last but not least, I made these cute candles with 25 cent mason jars, sand from the kiddos sandbox, and scraps of umbrella fabric. They took 2 minutes to make and may be my favorite part of the whole project and they did not require 2 full days of painting and some serious trigger finger!




1 comment:

Carol McClard said...

Oh my gosh, it looks great!! OK, what's the next project??